Saturday, March 06, 2010

Cafe John

Three posts in a row about food . . . I must be pregnant.

Anyway, when I was pregnant with Kate, I was teaching at a middle school. John used to make me lunches to take every day. I worked with a lot of guy teachers and they used to make fun of me and say, "He's just being nice because this is your first pregnancy and you're newly married. Wait until your fourth or fifth pregnancy. He'll just wonder what you're complaining about."

Well, this is my seventh pregnancy and I have to say that John is great still. When I'm pregnant, I'm always hungry, but not a lot sounds good. And I really am not good at cooking or thinking of meals when I'm pregnant. So, John asks me just about every night, "What do you want for dinner?" And most often I answer, "Good food." Usually John delivers.

But occasionally he goes above and beyond. The other day I noticed that we had all the ingredients for the chicken salad with grapes, celery, and nuts. So that night when John asked me what I wanted, I laughingly said I wanted the chicken salad. Now I know that John doesn't like that stuff and can't eat several of the ingredients in it. But he asked what was in it and started working on it right away. I looked up a recipe on the internet that had the secret ingredient as Worcestershire sauce (weird I know). John used his new chopper and chopped all the ingredients really fine. It was one of the best chicken salads I've ever had. Good work!!

I just wanted to go one the record saying that I've really enjoyed living at Cafe John all these years.

3 comments:

Emily W said...

When I was pregnant with Autumn I was going to school at a biological field station and I was in class from 8 to 5 everyday, and Ben worked at a fancy restaurant waiting tables and he worked from 5-midnight. He isn't a morning person and he used to get up and make me my lunch so that I would have a good lunch while I was at school all day.

jjp said...

No one ever tips the cook...

Rob and Marseille said...

i am soo jealous. i have to cook dinner inbetween trips to the bath room to throw up. my husband is surprised that we have pancakes 5 nights a week ;)