
Our insurance company DMBA offers you $200 every year if you participate in their wellness program. In the beginning it was only for employees, but this last year they expanded the program to include spouses as well. I was all over that. I really like to eat healthy and exercise, but I rarely make the time. But throw in a little monetary incentive, and I'm there. I love a good challenge. And if you work at BYU as John does, DMBA gives you the option to participate in BYU's wellness programs. BYU runs its own wellness challenges and gives you little prizes for completing them. So on top of the $200, you can earn a bunch of fun little gifts. So this past year, I did all the challenges. I really enjoyed doing them. And from BYU I got a mini mag flashlight, a nice BYU hoodie, a BYU beanie, a first-aid kit, and a few other things I can't remember (there are 6 programs throughout the year).
Anyway, back to the money, so I earned $200 last year from DMBA. About a month ago John asked me how I was going to spend my money. I hadn't really thought of it that way. He said that since I earned it, I could spend it anyway I wanted. I thought and thought and couldn't really think of anything I was dying to have. Now two things I love in life are books and music. Several times recently I've just wandered through the Amazon website looking at music that I'd like to download for my ipod. I've thought about maybe buying an album a month or something. So when John said I could spend it on anything, the more I thought about it , the more I really just wanted to buy a bunch of music. I know it is kind of crazy but there it is. There are few things I like better than going walking and listening to my ipod, or just driving around and listening to my ipod. It is about as relaxing as anything gets in my life. And I love to just press shuffle and know that anything that comes up I'm going to like. I love the suspense yet certainty of it all.
So, long story short, I spent my money on music. It definitely was a splurge and now I can think of a bunch of other things I could have bought, but at the same time, whenever I turn my ipod on to my new music, I am thoroughly happy. John thought I was a little crazy (he spent his money on cooking appliances). And the bank called to make sure someone hadn't stolen my card committed fraud by buying a bunch of music, but it was all me. And I actually got about $300 worth of music with my $200 because I joined emusic for a month for $12 and got 100 songs out of it.
In case the suspense is killing you, drum roll please...... here are the albums/songs I am now the proud owner of and why I chose them.
1. ABBA: Gold--I've always kind of liked ABBA and they remind me of one of my best girlfriends Kaylyn who grew up singing ABBA, so Kaylyn, it is all your fault.
2. Barbie as The Island Princess and a few other random songs from other Barbie movies-- I have 5 daughters and they all love the Barbie movies and I have to say that I really like them too. I think the music is fairly well done and clever as kids' shows go. Plus the girls get so excited when it comes on the ipod in the car that is makes it worth it.
3. Barenaked Ladies: Snacktime--I just love this band. Their lyrics crack me up so I thought kids' music put out by them would probably be pretty funny. I was not disappointed. My kids may not think it is hilarious but I do. I just laugh and laugh.
4. The Broadside Band: English Country Dances from Playford's Dancing Master, 1651-1703-- My favorite parts in all the Jane Austen movies are always the dancing scenes. I love the music and the dances. So I decided to hunt around and find some music like that. I did and I love it. This album actually has a song that was used in one of the movies. It is toe-tapping good.
5. Assorted music from Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma--Again, I love the music. These are my favorite movies by far and a big part of them is their great music. Now I have it.
6. Dan Zanes and Friends: Night Time!--This album has a lot of great folksy kids' songs. I really like good kids' music and this stuff is good. I first saw this guy on Nick Jr. and I liked his songs, so I decided to try an album. I like it a lot.
7. Imagination Movers: For Those About to Hop--I know I might be buying into a little bit of hype, but I really like these guys' style. Their music is upbeat and fun and I can't help singing along. I had to get at least one album and I'm glad I did.
8. Jack Johnson: Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies For The Film Curious George-- The music in this movie makes me smile everytime it comes on. I don't know if it is the guy's voice or his mellow rhythmic guitar or what, but I love it. So I got the album. I love all the songs. It's one of my favorite new purchases.
9. About 4 songs from various John McCutcheon albums--If you haven't heard this guy, you should. He is an amazing musician and folk artist. I first heard him in high school at the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. I was entranced by his musical ability and comedy. I always buy a few of his songs when I have the chance.
10. Justin Roberts: Not Naptime, Pop Fly, and Yellow Bus--This guy is probably my favorite kids' artist of all. I just randomly checked one of his albums out from the library when Kate and Mary were little and ever since he's been a favorite. So I bought the last 3 albums of his that I don't have. His lyrics are hilarious and I love his music. Once I hear one of his songs I can't get it out of my head for the rest of the day, they're that catchy.
11. The Laurie Berkner Band: Whaddaya Think Of That? and Rocketship Run--Laurie Berkner is probably my other favorite kids' music artist. She does a lot of traditional music in new ways and has a lot of clever and funny original music. These were the last two albums of hers that I didn't have.
12. The Best of Peter Breinholt--I've really liked him since college. One of my other college roommates Sara and her husband really liked him. I just never have gotten around to buying one of his albums. The mixes on this album aren't always the best, but it was the best bang for my buck and I'm sure I'll get used to them.
13. Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband: Dream Big--This is another group that I just find hilarious and I love the rhythm and the strings. It makes me want to dance and laugh at the same time. You can't beat that.
14. Music Time with SteveSongs--This is another guy I first heard on PBS kids programming and I couldn't get the songs out of my head. I like the rhythm and the witty lyrics. And Steve kind of reminds me of a friend in high school, I'm not sure why. Love the album.
Anyway, back to the money, so I earned $200 last year from DMBA. About a month ago John asked me how I was going to spend my money. I hadn't really thought of it that way. He said that since I earned it, I could spend it anyway I wanted. I thought and thought and couldn't really think of anything I was dying to have. Now two things I love in life are books and music. Several times recently I've just wandered through the Amazon website looking at music that I'd like to download for my ipod. I've thought about maybe buying an album a month or something. So when John said I could spend it on anything, the more I thought about it , the more I really just wanted to buy a bunch of music. I know it is kind of crazy but there it is. There are few things I like better than going walking and listening to my ipod, or just driving around and listening to my ipod. It is about as relaxing as anything gets in my life. And I love to just press shuffle and know that anything that comes up I'm going to like. I love the suspense yet certainty of it all.
So, long story short, I spent my money on music. It definitely was a splurge and now I can think of a bunch of other things I could have bought, but at the same time, whenever I turn my ipod on to my new music, I am thoroughly happy. John thought I was a little crazy (he spent his money on cooking appliances). And the bank called to make sure someone hadn't stolen my card committed fraud by buying a bunch of music, but it was all me. And I actually got about $300 worth of music with my $200 because I joined emusic for a month for $12 and got 100 songs out of it.
In case the suspense is killing you, drum roll please...... here are the albums/songs I am now the proud owner of and why I chose them.
1. ABBA: Gold--I've always kind of liked ABBA and they remind me of one of my best girlfriends Kaylyn who grew up singing ABBA, so Kaylyn, it is all your fault.
2. Barbie as The Island Princess and a few other random songs from other Barbie movies-- I have 5 daughters and they all love the Barbie movies and I have to say that I really like them too. I think the music is fairly well done and clever as kids' shows go. Plus the girls get so excited when it comes on the ipod in the car that is makes it worth it.
3. Barenaked Ladies: Snacktime--I just love this band. Their lyrics crack me up so I thought kids' music put out by them would probably be pretty funny. I was not disappointed. My kids may not think it is hilarious but I do. I just laugh and laugh.
4. The Broadside Band: English Country Dances from Playford's Dancing Master, 1651-1703-- My favorite parts in all the Jane Austen movies are always the dancing scenes. I love the music and the dances. So I decided to hunt around and find some music like that. I did and I love it. This album actually has a song that was used in one of the movies. It is toe-tapping good.
5. Assorted music from Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma--Again, I love the music. These are my favorite movies by far and a big part of them is their great music. Now I have it.
6. Dan Zanes and Friends: Night Time!--This album has a lot of great folksy kids' songs. I really like good kids' music and this stuff is good. I first saw this guy on Nick Jr. and I liked his songs, so I decided to try an album. I like it a lot.
7. Imagination Movers: For Those About to Hop--I know I might be buying into a little bit of hype, but I really like these guys' style. Their music is upbeat and fun and I can't help singing along. I had to get at least one album and I'm glad I did.
8. Jack Johnson: Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies For The Film Curious George-- The music in this movie makes me smile everytime it comes on. I don't know if it is the guy's voice or his mellow rhythmic guitar or what, but I love it. So I got the album. I love all the songs. It's one of my favorite new purchases.
9. About 4 songs from various John McCutcheon albums--If you haven't heard this guy, you should. He is an amazing musician and folk artist. I first heard him in high school at the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. I was entranced by his musical ability and comedy. I always buy a few of his songs when I have the chance.
10. Justin Roberts: Not Naptime, Pop Fly, and Yellow Bus--This guy is probably my favorite kids' artist of all. I just randomly checked one of his albums out from the library when Kate and Mary were little and ever since he's been a favorite. So I bought the last 3 albums of his that I don't have. His lyrics are hilarious and I love his music. Once I hear one of his songs I can't get it out of my head for the rest of the day, they're that catchy.
11. The Laurie Berkner Band: Whaddaya Think Of That? and Rocketship Run--Laurie Berkner is probably my other favorite kids' music artist. She does a lot of traditional music in new ways and has a lot of clever and funny original music. These were the last two albums of hers that I didn't have.
12. The Best of Peter Breinholt--I've really liked him since college. One of my other college roommates Sara and her husband really liked him. I just never have gotten around to buying one of his albums. The mixes on this album aren't always the best, but it was the best bang for my buck and I'm sure I'll get used to them.
13. Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband: Dream Big--This is another group that I just find hilarious and I love the rhythm and the strings. It makes me want to dance and laugh at the same time. You can't beat that.
14. Music Time with SteveSongs--This is another guy I first heard on PBS kids programming and I couldn't get the songs out of my head. I like the rhythm and the witty lyrics. And Steve kind of reminds me of a friend in high school, I'm not sure why. Love the album.
15. They Might Be Giants: Here Come the ABC's along with singles of Particle Man and Istanbul--This is another throwback to my youth. I loved this band's music back in the day. I thought they were hilarious. And their kids' music is almost as funny. It's pretty good. Plus Hot Dog! from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is on the album. Love that song!!
16. Pure '80's #1s--This is probably a silly pick, but I love 80's music. I listened to a lot of music growing up because my brother had music on 24/7 and the speakers were so loud you could hear it two blocks away. Consequently I know all the words to all the songs and the only thing I miss about not listening to the radio is hearing all these cheesy songs. Now I'm not missing them.
17. Sid the Science Kid Soundtrack--This music is reminiscent of Schoolhouse Rock for me. It is very educational but clever and has a good beat. I like it and so do the kids, and where else can 3 year olds learn about reversible change. You can't beat it.
18. Smallville Volume 2: The Metropolis Mix--This is mostly John's fault, which is kind of ironic, considering he doesn't really like the musical montages on Smallville. He thinks they're cheesy. But he got me started watching it with him, and has bought me almost all the seasons of it, and I like the music. It is a little harder than a lot of the stuff I listen to, but it brings back good memories and appeals to my wilder side. Everybody needs that sometimes.
And that's it. And that's probably enough for a good long time. But it will all make exercising this year a little more fun, which will make it easier to earn my $200 for next year so I think it was for a good cause.
5 comments:
Tara needs more musical montages in her life, I guess...
That. Is. Awesome. I too can't live with out my iPod, I think Will thinks I have a problem :) How I would love to spend $200 on music. Enjoy! :)
That's awesome! Music is definitely a good choice!
why didn't i do that? Then I could have my kitchen aid or bosch now! I believe you also got a byu umbrella. Rob did that challenge. a hoodie??? that's awesome. why didn't i sign up? can i still sign up for this year?
I think you can sign up at any time, they just give you money based on the amount of programs you participate. They're starting a new one tomorrow. I don't know if you can still sign up for that one, but you could try. You just go to the wellness home page.
Post a Comment