
Every time I have been pregnant something different has bothered me. When I was pregnant with Kate, pretty much any strong smells bothered me. I couldn't open our refrigerator for months (this was before I trained John to cover things in the refrigerator). The other pregnancies all kind of blend together but these are the things that have been banned during at least one of my pregnancies: mushrooms, pork, broccoli (cooked), Italian dressing as a marinade, overly salty foods, large amounts of garlic and hot dogs with casings.
I started thinking about this because this time, oddly enough, the thing that has really been bothering me is artificial sweeteners. I was kind of in the habit of having a diet drink of some kind with my lunch. I know it isn't that healthy, but it always tasted good. Then one day, out of the blue, I had a Diet Coke and felt really sick afterwards. I wasn't sure what was the cause, but another day soon after I had a drink and felt awful again. I wasn't sure if it was the caffeine, or the Coke, or the diet. But after going a while without having any drinks, one day I really had a headache and a Coke sounded really good. I decided to risk it and had John just get me a regular Coke. It didn't bother me at all. Since then I've experimented a few times, and each time I have something that is diet, I've felt really yucky after. So I'm steering clear and going back to the real stuff for a while. I think it is really strange but I'm not going to argue. There's worse things that could bother me.
2 comments:
Tara, I didn't know you were expecting! How far along are you? When I was pregnant with Olivia, I couldn't stand garlic and onions, which I normally love. The smell of cumin also made me sick. I can't think of anything that really made me sick with Matthew. I'll be curious to see if your aspartame aversion disappears after your baby is born.
Janae, I am about 3 months along, due August 7. I hope the aversion doesn't last because I really enjoyed guilt free drinks.
Post a Comment