Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Conversations and Haircuts

Yesterday my hair was the longest it's been since before I met John. Today it is short and I FEEL FREE!!!

I forget how much I like short hair. But going from reasonable long hair to pretty short takes time. So while the lady (I'm guessing she was in her 20's) cut my hair there was plenty of time for conversation. Here's part of the conversation that made me laugh.
Lady: So do you work or go to school?
me: No, I pretty much just stay home and take care of my kids.
Lady: Oh, that's cool. How many do you have?
me: Seven.
Lady (in shocked voice): You do not!!!
me (laughing): Yeah, I do.
Lady: How old are they?
me: (I list my kids and their ages)
Lady (incredulous): Are they all yours?
me: Yep, they're all mine. (I think she was trying to ask if there were any adopted, or if I married into some or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I found that part the funniest.)
She went on to say that I must be a strong woman and that she could barely handle her one. I told her I thought one was a lot too when I had just one.

I know our family is big but I really don't think about it most of the time. I love all my kids and most days wouldn't want to give any away. But it always makes me laugh when I talk to people. The shock, the awe. I didn't set out to have seven kids, but it wasn't accidental either. It's just the way it is and I happen to like it.

I think I got a good haircut and I definitely had a good laugh. What more can you ask for?

2 comments:

~ Amy said...

Haha! Good story. Didn't you take before/after pictures??

Ambrosia said...

Seriously, you can't post a haircut entry without pictures. The torment, the anticipation!