Friday, January 14, 2011

New Year's Resolutions: Ring Out the Old, Ring in the New

I like new year's resolutions. For that matter, I really like making goals. They give me something to work for, to look forward to. So I've been thinking this month about what I want to do. I've also been thinking about what I accomplished last year. So here goes:
  • Last year my goal was to read 105 books, and I made it to 86 (maybe a few more, but 86 that I recorded). I'm going to stick with this goal. I think I can do it and it keeps me reading which I really enjoy.
  • Last year my goal was to index 10,000 names and I did it. It was hard because for a long time I couldn't bring myself to index. But after I got back into it, I really enjoyed it. I think I could do more. So this year I'm going to index 20,000 names. This sounds like a lot but it is actually only about 50 names a day, which is about 15 minutes. Not bad. Usually when I get going indexing I do a lot more so I think I have a pretty good chance. And indexing is very satisfying. I really feel like I am accomplishing something and contributing to the work
  • Last year my goal was to finish my 200 projects by Sept. 1. I have no idea how many projects I finished and honestly, I totally lost my motivation because John bought me a really nice, new sewing machine. It is awesome and I love it. I do know that I finally finished Lily's baby quilt for her 4th birthday. That in itself was a big accomplishment. And I helped the girls make things for Christmas, which took some work. This year I think my goal will be to finish 50 projects, and in each project, I want to use at least one thing I already have.
  • My goal last year was to complete the $200 DMBA health challenge and I did. I have yet to decide what I want to spend my money on. We'll see. This year I want to continue this goal. Doing the challenge keeps me doing things to be reasonably fit. It makes me feel good and I like it. Plus BYU gives you great little gifts for finishing the mini-challenges. I just got an awesome BYU sackpack. I can't wait to use it when I go walking. Free money and free gifts, I just can't pass it up.
  • Last year my goal was to post on my blog once a week. I definitely didn't accomplish that, but I came close. I ended up with 42 entries, just 10 short of my one-a-week goal. I'm going to keep this goal too. I really need to start writing again, if only to keep a record of the silly and great things my kids do. Plus, writing is a good outlet that I could use more of. It keeps me excited about life.
  • My goal last year was to write in my journal at least 5 days a week and I think I did a pretty good job. My journal is more a scripture journal and gratitude journal. It is short and sweet, but it keeps me being positive. I'm keeping this goal because I think it's important and it makes me happy to be able to look back on what has gone on in my life.
  • Last year my goal was to read the Book of Mormon and the Old Testament reading for the year. I'm still working on it. I've gone really slow but I'm getting a lot out of it. I'm working through the Old Testament seminary manual in my own way, and it is fun. So my goal for this year is to finish both the Old Testament manual and the Book of Mormon. But the most important thing is to do some individual scripture study every day. That's what I really need.
  • My final goal last year was to try to be nice to my kids and have fun with them and I think we had a good year. We had a great summer where we did lots of fun things. We also went sledding over Christmas break. And we do a lot of reading together which we all like. I could probably be more exciting and more nice. But I'm not sure what specific goals with my kids I want to work on this year. I'm going to think about it.

I'm sure there are lots of other goals I could make, but I think I'll start with these and go from there.

No comments: