Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Husband is Driving Me Crazy (The Sequel to My Kids are Driving Me Crazy)

I'm just kidding. John doesn't drive me crazy, but occasionally he does have some pretty crazy ideas. After 11 years of marriage, I've learned to reserve judgement. I have to say the ideas usually turn out well, but often when he tells me one of his new ideas, in my head I am screaming, "Are you crazy?!!" I try to tone down what actually comes out of my mouth. But here are a couple of John's latest ideas that have worked out brilliantly.
1. Family scripture study for us lately has been very hit and miss. When I pointed this out to John (he often is not home for the scripture study at night because of other commitments), his answer was something like this, "Well, we could get up at 6:30 each morning and read scriptures." Now I just have to say right up front that John and I are not morning people. We struggle to get out of bed on time to get John to work and the girls to school. So I was a little skeptical. And we both tend to be a little grumpier in the mornings. I told John that as long as he got himself out of bed I would go along with the idea. Well, John was right. It has worked great. The girls are less energetic at 6:30 in the morning and are pretty content to sit on the couch and listen to the scriptures. And most of the times we've done it, I have felt truly grateful to have 6 beautiful children as I look at them sitting sedately there. It has turned out to be a good quiet moment for me and sets a good tone for the rest of the day. Hurray for John and his brave new ideas.

2. John decided that it might be a good idea if the girls made their Christmas presents for their siblings. Again I was a little hesitant at first. I am more than happy to take the girls to the dollar store and have them pick out presents. But John was right in thinking that most of these things just don't last and add to the junk already cluttering our house. My other thought was that I was going to end up helping with most of the gifts and I wasn't sure I was ready to commit to that. But I'll try most of John's ideas once, so we announced the news to the girls and forged ahead. And I have to say, John was right. I have ended up helping the girls but it has been an amazing experience. My three oldest girls all decided on their own exactly what they wanted to make and have done most of the work themselves. It has been really fun to help and watch. I'm still trying to figure out gift ideas for the younger 2 (Adam is out this year) but I agree with John that I think all the kids will appreciate their gifts more this year. And the girls are practicing and learning good skills in the process. Yea for John (who also is making his gifts for the girls this year)!! What a good guy.

I can't think of any other glaring examples right now, but I have to say that John is usually right about what is good for us. He's not driving me crazy, but he sure is pushing my limits which is good for me. I definitely need that kind of push now and again and I appreciate all his hard work.

4 comments:

jjp said...

Usually right? Only usually?

Kathy said...

Ok, you've inspired me. We all woke up at 6:45 this morning for scriptures. I am NOT a morning person, but it did feel good. Thanks for the encouragement.

Shelly's Space said...

Good for you Tara and John!! You can NEVER go wrong by reading your scriptures...it will bless all of your lives:) I LOVE reading your blogs...you're a terriffic writer:)

Sorrel Jakins said...

That's OK Tara, he drives us crazy as well