Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Book review: Austenland by Shannon Hale


First of all this is for John, who is always bugging me to do book reviews.

Second this book can be summed up by the dedication:
For Colin Firth
You're a really great guy, but I'm married, so I think we should just be friends.

If you don't know who Colin Firth is you probably won't find this book as funny as I did. There might still be hope for you if you love Jane Austen's books, especially Pride and Prejudice. John calls me obsessed and when I told him this book was about a lady who was obsessed with the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice, he asked if I was going to sue (he's the one who bought those dvds for me). Now in all fairness, this lady is so obsessed with the movie that she can't have a normal relationship with a guy. My obsession is just recreational and based more in Jane Austen's books themselves than in any particular version (although Colin Firth is the best Mr. Darcy by far).

Anyway the book is a quick read and hilarious, playing off of Jane Austen's books and stories. The lady goes to an actual resort that tries to recreate Jane Austen's day and stories so you can live them for yourself. Actors are paid to mimic different characters from the different books, clothing and accomodations are authentic, etc. It is really funny as she tries to live out her fantasy while still clinging to her 21st century lifestyle. Like I said if you like Jane Austen (even just the movies) you'll find this book amusing.

1 comment:

jjp said...

Hey, a book review! With a picture of the book even. We'll make a blogger out of you yet...