Friday, October 09, 2009

Lily's Preschool

Lily was a little bitter that she was the only girl not going back to school this year. Each day when all the girls would leave she would fuss about her getting to go to school too. I had also taken all the other girls school shopping for an outfit and school supplies and she was sad that she didn't get to go. So after about a month of this, I caved. One day I was inspired by Marseille and her blog to do a little preschool for Lily and Adam. She had a link for a website (letteroftheweek.com) that had free resources and lesson plans for doing a home preschool and they were really simple. (I think Linda also used this same website for her little boy.) I liked what I saw and so I tried it out.
I started by making a new big flannel board (which I bought supplies for a few years ago and never made). Then I printed out the first lesson and the overall lesson schedules and put them all in one of my cheap folders that I bought with our school supplies. And finally I colored and laminated the different pictures and headings for the flannel board. I like doing this sort of thing and I counted it for about 2 projects for my challenge. I also took Lily school shopping and let her pick out an outfit, some socks, new shoes, and a new folder. She seemed excited.

Unfortunately Lily was only interested for about 3 days. She was a little bummed that she didn't get to leave the house to go to preschool. She really likes kicking back in the morning and watching her PBS shows. Oh well. It was a good idea and is a good way for us to plan some fun things to do together. We've done about 3 days so far. Her favorite activities so far have been playing with play dough, and writing a letter in a pie pan filled with rice. She also likes reading the story books. I think it is a good, relaxed way to do a little something with her when she feels like something. I also have been making up some gospel activities out of books that I have. She likes them I think and I am finally using some things that I have had for years. Overall I think it will be good. This is a huge step for me because I am really not a homeschool person, although I totally support all my friends who are. I think it will be great and is just my speed.

4 comments:

Debi said...

Tara, you and your husband are the most amazing people! I love all of your goal updates and the little stories about the girls just make me smile...really! I don't know how you accomplish so much. Tell your mom and dad hi for me. It has been so long since I've seen them. I have been doing family history. I wonder if you have an e-mail that I might write you to get some info on your family to update my records on your side.

Little Family Fun said...

Way to go! I need to get back into our Preschool stuff. And I like your idea of writing the letters in a pie pan with rice. I'm going to try that one!

Tara said...

Debi, my email is tara_payne@byu.edu. Thanks for all your comments. They are very encouraging.

Rob and Marseille said...

I'm glad someone else uses that website! It's great! (Though I'm lazy and don't make posters...we just read books on a particular theme and do worksheets because handwriting is our major goal for the year), but if you read my blog you know that. Here's an idea I haven't added yet: if you do a winter theme, have them drive toy cars in flour (snow) on a cookie sheet.